/* ------------Peek-a-boo------------- */

How the average person is doused in pain, and set alight by grinding a blunt fork up and down your elbow. Life is miserable, so lets take it out on a blog.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

The limitation of free webhosting

The web is built in part from the millions of personal free webpages (most shit, of course. I don't want to know about your personal problems, or your cat, that's what soaps on TV are for).

However, every so often, you need to resort to such things to allow you do stuff. One of the main things I'm looking for is a place I can store things for download. You know, so other people can download them. Whenever I'm making files, usually involve .exe self-exectuable zip files (the ones that know everything, so you only have to click one button). In normal circumstances, I'd just email it, but this particular file gets updated quite regularly, and I'm sure some of the recipients dont really want all the update that come arriving three times a week.

So, off I trundle, to go and find some free web hosting. I rooted out my new geocities account which was currently being used to host .swf files. However, they don't like .exe files. No suprise there. So I dig out my angelfire account which hasn't been accessed in two years, and try it there. Bingo! It uploads! So I go to test to out, but guess what, I get a message saying that Angelfire disallows download of certain filetypes to protect users from viruses.

Viruses.

Sweet Jesus man! Is everyone on this planet so scared about viruses? I mean come on. Any half-wit can operate anti-virus software, and use some basic common sense when it comes to files. Jeez.

Anyway, back on topic. I start searching the web, and come across this website, which gives a nice long list of what files they will host. I press ctrl+f, and guess what, I find .exe! Hooray! I start up an account (this website is strangely devoid of ads, my suspicions that my email address was going to be carted off to some 3rd party spammer arose at this point), and instantly go to upload my file.

"You are not permitted to upload that type of file".

#$%&!!!!

Of course, in the end, I found what I was looking for, but after a good two hour look. It even allows me to password protect the files, excellent! So all hail to Sharemation.

But in any case, whyever hosting .exe files is so bad is beyond me. It all goes to viruses. You know that if you get infected by a virus, it's because you're a twat?

Moggy's Tip of the day
"Shine your shoes, wipe your ass."

Enlightening.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i guess those PB scripts were a pain to host then, Nice story not as good as the doctor one by your friend. ! :P

4:41 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why cnat i add coments to really old posts.

4:57 pm

 

Post a Comment

 
<%radio.macros.staticSiteStatsImage ()%>